Apply Now for Certified Peer Specialist Training
Download This Form
Applying is easy. Click the link below to download the form, you will then need print it. Download Now!
Fill it Out
Please Type or Print Clearly. All sections must be completed for the application to be processed. The information you provide will be shared with the Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health designated for the purpose of enrollment into the CPS Training.
Please have at least two signed references. Make sure you enclose them with your application.
Send It All In
ATTN: Christy Wixom
195 North 1950 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84116
Peer specialists are fully integrated members of a treatment team who provide highly individualized services in the community and promote client self-determination and decision-making. Peer specialists also provide essential expertise and consultation to the entire treatment team to promote a culture in which each client’s point of view and preferences are recognized, understood, respected, and integrated into treatment, rehabilitation, and community self-help activities. The need for the services is negotiated between the consumer and clinician in the treatment planning process and will be listed on individuals recovery plan as is any other needed services is required to do so.
Certified Peer Specialists are employees of community mental health/substance abuse centers and their subcontractors, Utah State Hospital, Veteran Administration, and DSAMH. CPS employees are subject to the same employment process and responsibilities as any other employee. They are subject to job announcements, job descriptions, hiring practices, probationary periods, supervision, disciplinary actions, code of conducts etc… as is customarily practice by the agency they work for. They are also subject to all benefits, incentives, protections, and advancements as any other employee in the agency.
The Division is excited to announce the 2012 Utah State Peer/Consumer Conference on September 14, 2012 that will be held at the Red Lion Hotel and Conference Center in Salt Lake City, Utah. The event is sponsored by the Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health and is being hosted by Empowerment Services (a consumer run organization).
The conference is for current or past consumers of mental health services. There is no cost although registration is limited to 150 attendees. Also, there are some scholarships available for hotel sleeping rooms for those that will be traveling over 50 miles to the conference. For more information and registration please click the following link www.utahpeerconference.org
Links of Interest for CPS
- National Empowerment Center
- Recovery Network of Northern Kentucky
- Dual Recovery Anonymous
- National Mental Health Consumers Self Help Clearinghouse
- Wyoming Peer Specialist
- National Association of Peer Specialists
- Indiana Certified Recovery Specialist Program
- The Florida Certified Peer Specialist Program
- Appalachian Consulting Group
- Georgia Certified Peer Specialist Group
- New Mexico Behavioral Health Collaborative
- Mountain States Group
- Washington County Mental Health & Addiction Recovery Board
- Clark County Regional Support Network
- The Transformation Center
- South Carolina Department of Mental Health
- ICCD: International Center for Clubhouse Development
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance
- Disability Law Center
Links to Webinars
- http://www.info.com/Webinars?cb=27&cmp=4006&gclid=CL-o3dKQyqgCFQwFbAodp12Oqw this is #1 for info.
- CE Credit Requirements
- Peer Support e-course 1: Peer Specialists 101: Research, Core Competencies and Ethics
- Peer Support e-course 2: The Five Stages in Recovery and the role of Peer Specialists
- Peer Support e-course 3: Using Your Recovery Story
- Recovery e-course 1: Recovery is Real
- Recovery e-course 2: Self-determination Fuels Recovery
- Recovery e-course 3: The Language of Recovery
- Recovery e-course 4: Planning that Promotes Recovery
- Recovery e-course 5: Let’s Start Living Large
- Recovery e-course 6: The Resiliency Factor
Certified Peer Support Specialists can earn Continuing Education Credits by taking approved online courses from Magellan Health.
Some of the approved courses are listed under the “Links” section of this website. Look for them under the headings of Training Links,
Recovery e-Course and Resiliency E-Courses.